incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: next step towards graduation
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 16:13:44 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> Besides the concerns of the IPMC over toxic IPR in the SVN for an extended time, the
greatest difficulty I see is that no one on the project can touch this code or work on merging
any useful bits until the IPR cleanup happens.  At the moment, it appears that the entire
Symphony subdirectory on the OOO SVN is untouchable.

Dennis, your use of inflammatory language like "toxic" is not helpful.
  The only parts that are of interest to this project are the IBM
enhancements and new features, and these are all under ALv2 per the
SGA.  The legacy OpenOffice.org stuff, with LGPL headers, is
irrelevant.

What we have is contributed code that is sitting in a segregated tree,
entirely separate from the product code, awaiting IP clearance.  This
is within the process.  If you or any one else wants the process to go
faster I'd be happy to suggest ways to help.   And as I said before,
I'm also happy to delete this tree, if anyone thinks it is a problem.

-Rob

>  - Dennis

reflection of the grant and availability under ALv2 has occurred.

>> We were notified that the grant was received.
>>
>>> Is it expected that something be done about that?  There are files that are
>>>
>>>  - still under Sun LGPL license,
>>>  - some that add an IBM License and copyright under private license
>>>  - some that claim an IBM Copyright and provide no license whatsoever,
>>>    although there is a notice concerning government use
>>>

>> Yes, this needs to be cleaned up before any of this is part of a
>> release.  But it is not a graduation issue.  Remember, an SGA may come
>> from anywhere, at any time, before graduation or after graduation.
>> This is blessing, not a problem.  But the code does need to be
>> reviewed and brought in line with policy before it can be part of a
>> release.
>
> It is still work that ought to be done sooner rather than later. And the header work
should be done by someone from IBM. Who might that be?

> Whoever it is should be doing it already. There is no excuse to delay.
>
> BTW - Large software grants go through the incubator. TLPs do this. [1]
>
> I think that not clearing the Symphony grant might be a graduation problem for some on
the IPMC. It will certainly be discussed.