incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Initiate a Contest for Branding of 4.0
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 15:04:46 GMT
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Graham Lauder <> wrote:
> The launch of 4.0 is a unique opportunity in the life of AOO both now and
> far into the future.
> The branding needs to position us in the market place, be distinctive and
> unique and makes a statement about the product.
> The creation of this requires a skillset that we do not have an over
> abundance of in the project.
> The proposal therefore is to initiate a contest to create this new
> branding, this would have multiple benefits in terms of community outreach,
> marketing and raising brand awareness.
> The contest would be source of the eventual branding of AOO 4.0

The devil is in the details, but I think a contest can be a great way
of getting many ideas, but also promoting AOO 4.0.  It makes it "an

I think Dave mentioned that another Apache project had a logo contest
and received a large number of entries.

> The process would be:
> Formulate a RFP with contest details and guidelines (these would include
> the product name and a reasonable outline of our target markets),
> timeframe, methodologies of presentation and breadth of branding elements.
> Perhaps sound out some sponsors for a prize
> Filter responses for eligibility according to the initial criteria
> Filter responses for global appropriateness
> Filter responses for target market relevance

It will be important that this filtering is done in a way that
everyone sees as fair.  Who judges "global appropriateness", for

One way might be to appoint a judging panel.

> Communicate with the creators of this first shortlist to get them to sell
> their idea
> Shortlist to a dozen or less based on function (ie usability across
> multiple media)

For maximum impact we could have blog post and social media campaign
to promote the short list of logos and drive traffic to the survey.

> Create a survey to gauge general public impressions/feelings with regard to
> certain branding criteria: Uniqueness, Impact, Impression and
> Representation.
> Reduce and Repeat.
> If no clear "winner" emerges then PMC becomes the tiebreaker
> Lazy consensus 5 days seeing as how the weekend is nearly upon us
> Cheers
> GL

View raw message