incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Marketing events
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 19:07:30 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 October 2012 18:00, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/12, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > OOo had a substantial community marketing project with community members
>> > attending key events. How do we improve on that now with AOO?
>>
>> I remember one of the last activities before OOo was forked and most
>>  operations came to a halt, was building a collection of 'approved
>>  events'.  we rate them as how strategically important for the
>>  marketing plan was, and how much support it would get from the
>> previous marketing budget.
>>
>>  FOSDEM was one of them, as well as OSWC and Latinoware to mention a few.
>>
>>  We also thought about having dedicated speakers since they were
>>  repeatably asked to give talks in their regions and were considered as
>>  the "OpenOffice.org guy" in the FLOSS community.
>>
>>  I am not sure how this activity goes for or against things done on
>> Apache Way. But It was one of the ideas of the new Marketing Plan
>> (which also was
>>  halted).
>>
>> I think there were some policies on the way the money would be spent
>> such as, we could fund up to 50%, and only for traveling and hosting
>> (no food or drinks). Other rules were still being put in place.
>

> Before getting into too much detail, what about Louis' suggestion of a
> marketing entity that could raise money outside the scope of ASF? Of course
> there is nothing to stop anyone setting up such an entity, the question is
> the relationship with AOO as part of ASF. The view I have held for a long
> time is that some sort of liquid assets even if a relatively small amount
> would have a disproportionate effect when it comes to marketing and
> dissemination. I'm just not clear how that fits with the Apache Way if at
> all.

Some quick ideas:

What exactly do we need to raise money for?  Let's be sure it is not
already available with Apache.  If it is event-oriented, it is good
idea to check on the ConCom lists.

Have we availed ourselves of all the free marketing opportunities we
have?  Why are we leaping to outside fundraising before writing blog
posts?  Webinars?  Why set up an outside marketing organization when
we have a magazine interview request that we have not yet responded
to?  If we're not making optimal use of free, I wonder if we would
make good use of not-free?

If there is something specific we need, maybe we can get it donated to the ASF?

It would be a very rare open source even that did not have at least
one Apache member present.  Maybe there is an opportunity to share
space at a table and reduce costs?  Maybe we can help another project
be represented at a conference where it is easy and cheap for one of
our volunteers to attend, in return for them helping represent AOO at
a conference we are not able to make?

For 3rd party fundraising, we would need to tread very carefully here,
in terms of trademark use, avoiding appearance of affiliation or
endorsement, etc.  We can't have an outside group raising and spending
money on behalf of an ASF project, claiming to speak for the ASF
project at conferences, using a name that suggests affiliation with
the ASF project, especially an exclusive relation, etc.  So I have
serious doubts that an outside organization, with these constraints,
would have much luck raising funds.

-Rob