incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Seeking OpenOffice consultants -- help us validate our new consultants listings
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 11:22:59 GMT
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 October 2012 21:46, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>> > Here is some real data.
>> >
>> > <consultant>
>> >         <name>The Learning Machine, Ltd</name>
>> >             <country>Global</country>
>> >             <practice>Certification</practice>
>> >             <practice>User Skills</practice>
>> >         <description>The Learning Machine, Ltd provides certification
of
>> IT
>> > user skills in the context of Apache Open Office, accredited by the UK
>> > national Regulators and referenced to the European Qualifications
>> > Framework. We work through organisations such as schools, colleges and
>> > adult education providers.</description>
>> >         <website>https://theingots.org/community/CertOOo</website>
>> >         <email>ian.lynch@theingots.org</email>
>> >         <phone>+44 (0) 1827305940</phone>
>> >     </consultant>
>> >

>> > name == name of your entity, could be your personal name or name of your
>> > company
>> >
>> > country == one or more ISO country codes that you do business in.  If
>> > you do business everywhere you can say "Global"
>> >
>> > practice == one or more areas of practice.  I'd like to use this for
>> > categorization, so it will be a fixed list of options.  Currently I'm
>> > proposing: Deployment, Migration, Extensions,  Training,
>> > Customization. Other.    Are there any other areas we should mention
>> > specifically?
>> >
>> > I'm saying certification rather than training because others provide the
>> > training we simply provide certification of the outcomes of the training
>> > for users rather than developers.
>> >

>> OK.  I will add "Certification".
>>
>> How do you distinguish a practice in "User Skills" from "Training"?
>> Or is this something else entirely?
>>

> Training supports development of user skills, certification confirms they
> have been acquired. Separating the training from the certification reduces
> the risk of conflicts of interest. User skills are for people that use the
> software as opposed to professional IT people like developers, sys admins
> etc. We can certificate those too but so far the market seems more likely
> to be viable in the user space. One way of classifying things could be
> Training at the top level and Certification as a sub-category without
> necessarily separating out the target audience for the certification. I
> doubt there will be a lot of certification consultants so it might be
> better to do it that way, it's simply that it can also be confusing when we
> don't actually offer training ourselves, schools and colleges do that and
> we QA the outcomes independently.
>
> Not sure if that helps but I can go along with whichever way you think
> works best overall.

Since this is intended to be a taxonomy that would apply to everyone,
I want to make sure it is clear both to other consultants as well as
to visitors to the website.   "Certification" is a good one, and we
can describe it in a way that makes it clear that it is different than
"Training".  But it sounds like "User Skills" is a qualifier of
"Certification", i.e., "User Skills Certification".  IMHO, delivering
"User Skills" itself sounds like a training offering.

So I'm wondering... are there other kinds of certification of
interest, beyond user certification?  Does anyone currently (or do we
anticipate) something like a "Certified OpenOffice Developer"?  If so
we might want to reserve categories for "User Certification" and
"Developer Certification".  (Admin certification as well?)

-Rob