incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice for Android
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:40:29 GMT
On 12 October 2012 00:50, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David Paenson <davepolit@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I keep on thinking: wouldn't it be wonderful if OpenOffice was
> > available for tablets running Android?
> >
> > Yesterday I had to tell a student who had bought a cheap tablet
> > including external keyboard she had better resell it and buy instead a
> > netbook, so she could install OpenOffice for Linux or Windows.
>
> No, it would be better if consumers educated themselves

That has never happened in the past so it is unlikely to happen in the
future. Consumers have usually followed big marketing bucks - Microsoft,
Apple, Google - fashion more than logic.

> and purchased
> an AMD or Intel x86 based tablet (I favor AMD Fusion myself), where
> you can install ANY OS you want, including standard x86 Linux (Fedora,
> Ubuntu, etc), and run standard Apache OpenOffice, Firefox, and any
> software you want.

Except that ARM is pretty unlikely to relinquish its dominance on mobile
technologies. If you want it mobile port it to ARM. Even Microsoft is
having to do this.

> See:
> http://ho.io/AMDTablet
>
> Video of AMD Fusion tablet running Ubuntu
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfhP1cpGhHw
>
> Same tablet running ArchLinux
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSf4lBsExp0
>
> The latest AMD Fusion tablets get 8-hours of 720p video playback on a
> battery charge, and the equivalent CPU horsepower of an AMD Sempron
> 3000...
>
> So, the notion that "tablets=limited" or "tablets=Android" irks me a
> lot. If you get an x86 tablet, you get all the power of a regular
> notebook, with a touch screen instead of keyboard...

Maybe, but it isn't the way the market is going.

--

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940