incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Policy question: How to link to books about OpenOffice?
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 22:22:57 GMT
On 2 October 2012 22:22, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> Anyone else have a thought on this?  I tend to agree with Kay here,
> that the book listings should be removed.

The problem with books is that they go out of date and they take a lot of
writing and maintaining. Reviews go out of date. Before we can get votes or
crowd sourced ratings we have to have some sort of list with entries to
rate. If that must emerge outside ASF we are totally at the whim of whether
someone outside decides to do it or not. In an ideal world, the help
provided in AOO would be so good and comprehensive, no book would be
needed. While it is not an ideal world I think there needs to be some way
to help users find sources of learning AOO and so if the book listings are
removed, I'd ask what is the alternative that is better that can take their
place? I think your analogy with listing consultants is valid. If
consultants get listed, why not authors?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.