incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 15:12:42 GMT
On 5 October 2012 13:28, Yong Lin Ma <mayongl@apache.org> wrote:

> That is an nice expectation.
>
> What do you suggest the AOO community do except improving AOO's
> interoperability with ooxml?
>

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM, zhun guo <mike5guo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To Yong Lin Ma,my proposal is to get all office software to be convenient
> > for common user, include native office software or cloud office
> software. I
> > like ODF,OOXML,PDF or HTML. And you?

For me I'd like to see convergence to a single XML based open standard that
supported full data fidelity when transferring information between editors
whether on line, desktop or mobile. This is quite a long way off but odf
could be the starting point to get there. Other than MSFT I can't see
anyone wanting to adopt OOXML as the native format in other non-microsoft
products for fear of lock-in and intellectual property issues. MSFT shows
no sign of replacing OOXML with odf so probably getting very good filters
between odf and OOXML is the best hope. If that was achieved it would make
sense for any new software to use one of those two formats as its default
so there would be pressure for convergence.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.