incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need new logo for openoffice.apache.org
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:06:18 GMT
On 25 October 2012 10:36, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:

> > vote
> > (at
> So,
> logo
> > > is
> > use

> > solution.
> > > similarity
> > > under
> > > rebranding:
> > good
> > > >

> > > +1.
> > >
> > > 4.0 is the time for a full rebranding, not before. Of course we need to
> > > start with this sooner than later, but IMO it is not urgent.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Ricardo
> > >

> > Disagree completely, a rebrand is not a trivial matter, that can be
> knocked
> > up in a weekend.  We are marketing a consumer space product and
> therefore a
> > lot of preparation needs to be done including researching our endusers.
> >

> I'm not saying that rebranding is a trivial matter: I'm just saying that
> 4.0 is the time for rebranding and not before. As Kevin noted, we can go on
> for now just updating what we have but of course we need to have everything
> in place before 4.0 is released. And the best way to have everything in
> place at the right time is to start *right now*... but without making a
> storm on a teacup: Usually, the "sense of urgency" goes against "good
> creativity".
>
> I too want a "shiny and new package", and I prefer to have everything ready
> with plenty of time as you do. We fully agree on this.
>
> Let's see Kevin's (and other's!) proposal.

Rob already suggested a competition. I think that is a good idea and I can
help organise it but I don't want to put a lot of time into that if it is
not going to be considered a likely way forward. Marketing should not
distract code developers from their input as it is an inefficient use of
resources.

Regards

--
Ian