incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BItTorrents -- do we care?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:46:38 GMT
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree stongly. Seeding torrents is a bandwith-intensive, and
> particularly upstream-intensive proposition. Most residential
> broadband links -at least down here in .AR- are limited to 512K to 256
> Kbps upstream speed. Only a minority has FTTH or DOCSIS 3.0 cable
> modems, and in those insteances upstream has an average on 1 Mbit.
>
> Torrenting -and particularly seeding- only starts to get interesting
> with upstream speeds above 1Mbit.

Actually, torrenting starts to get interesting with swarms.  The more
people that seed, the greater the chances that the packets you need
will be immediately available.  Even if they don't have a lot of
bandwidth as individuals, as a collection they're as accessible as a
high-speed disk drive.

> On the other hand if you have 256 Kbps of upstream and suddenly you
> find yourself seeding a popular file to several users at once, you
> suddenly find that your ´broadband´ sucks, ie, you can´t send any big
> email attachment or upload files to the cloud because all your tiny
> upstream is being used by the torrents. -yes, one can fine-tune the bw
> allocation, but as I said above, with upstream speeds as low as 512K
> or 256K  any fraction of a tiny pipe is an even tinier pipe.

Mine's 768K, and that's the low end for my ISP.  I typically set aside
150K for bittorrent upload and don't feel it with anything else that I
do.  I know that's not a huge contribution, but again, swarms.

Set up a torrent for AOO and I'll be happy to help seed.  And I
promise to not block Argentinians.

> So, in the words of Vint Cerf "residential broadband connections are crippled"
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1016487/home-broadband-customers-are-crippled-vint-cerf-reckons

Dude...Are you citing yourself?

Don