incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] "difficulty" field for Bugzilla
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:15:31 GMT
Apache Camel uses an "Estimated Complexity" custom field in the Apache
Issues Tracker.  Current values in it are "Any", "Unknown", "Novice",
"Moderate", "Advanced", "Guru" and "Needs James Gosling".

Had to look him up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gosling

Don

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-10-24, at 16:28 , "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> @Regina,
>>
>> Yes, Wizard is a reference to the level of mastery that a solver must
>> possess, and is one of those "which one of these words does not belong"
>> solutions.
>>
>> There is a well-known *logarithmic* difficulty scale that has been used
>> over 40 years for problem difficulty.  It might be worth adapting:
>>
>> (after unknown),
>>
>>  00 easy - immediately solvable by someone willing to do it
>>  10 simple - takes minutes
>>  20 medium, average - quarter hour
>>  30 moderate, an evening
>>  40 difficult, challenging, non-trivial (term project, GSoC...)
>>  50 unsolved, deep, requires a breakthrough, research
>>     (PhD dissertation)
>>  60 intractable (that I just made up - probably not something that
>>     is technically feasible regardless of skill, Nobel Prize,
>>     P = NP, etc.)
>>
>> I suspect this scale has too much at the low end and perhaps not
>> enough steps at the high end.   Perhaps there are two factors - skills and
>> work factor - how long for someone of the necessary skills?  Or else
>> work factor is suggestive of the level of skill?
>>
>>     easy - minutes (fixing a typo on a web page)
>>     simple - hour(s)
>>     moderate - days
>>     difficult, challenging - weeks
>>     hard, demanding - months
>>     stubborn - years (aka, intractable)
>>
>> All of these assume fluency with basic tools and facility with the subject matter
of the issue.

>> For example, fixing change-tracking is at least hard.
>>
>> - Dennis
>>
> One aspect that has been used and not used enough is to consider this in light of how
a student or neophyte might approach the task and whether it demands the added help a mentor
can offer.

> Louis

>>> TRIVIAL
>>> EASY