incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: Need new logo for openoffice.apache.org
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 08:50:01 GMT
On 10/23/12, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> On 10/22/12, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> hmmm...well, OK. I think I remember something like this now. Should we
>>> use Alexandro's new one at:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/ApacheOpenOfficeTM.svg
>> AFAIK there was no resolution on the fonts, the discussion ended on
>> asking Michael Acevedo, but he never replied.
>
> Exactly. And this means we cannot use Alexandro's SVG since it is not a
> 100% reproduction of the bitmap by Michael Acevedo (the orb is perfectly

Who made Michael Acevedo the offical artist of AOO? If we are going to
have a 'new' logo that automatically disqualify using MA logo as a
whole. So far Nobody wants a proprietary fonts. So this logo is out.
Now the issue is if there is any problem using an OpenType License
font.

> done in SVG and it is the only SVG version of the orb we have available,
> since we never received one from Oracle; but the text has a slightly
> different formatting).
>
> We have two separate issues here:
>
> 1) Collecting and consolidating all versions of the logo we are using;
> here a 95% accuracy is not acceptable. These versions should be placed
> under http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/ or anyway under SVN.

Most logos are variation of the first one. We can generate a whole new
set for 4.0, or we can even go back to the pre-Oracle OpenOffice brand
refresh and get the OpenOffice with the gulls.

The Orb was never part of the logo, it was label a 'symbol' to be used
in a different context of the logo, just like the wireframe gulls was
for 2.4.

> 2) Collecting proposals that can be useful as inspiration for a new
> visual identity; here it is of course acceptable to have variants of the
> "official" logos, but these should remain proposals and be placed in the
> wiki or such, possibly in pages that do not confuse a reader who types
> "OpenOffice logo" in a search engine.

We need a framework to make decisions "lazy conscensus, voting
schemes, etc". But it seems there is a generalized knowledge that this
is not only the logo but Application Icons, Mime Icons, and Module
icons.

Keeping a fresh logo with a very dated iconset is just not a good
practice, specially for a 4.0 release.

> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Should this be taken to marketing list? Is really a non-coding topic
and traditionally was handled by the "art Project" which was a
subproject of marketing.

Most of the visual identity and design need to be upstreamed to
marketing to develop marketing kits.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice