incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: AOO volunteers: essential skills and tasks
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2012 07:17:47 GMT
On 10/19/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> I am thinking about what new project volunteers need to get started.
> Obviously there are area-specific things.  For example, developers
> need to know how to download and build.  Translation volunteers need
> to understand Pootle, etc.  But there are also some basic things that
> all volunteers should probably do.

Well this is why OOo was structure the way it was. Is a bit funny when
Apache people came and wanted to make us be more equals, no ECC, no
NLC, no MarCon, Project Lead, Co-leads, no distinction between
developers and normal randome dude at the support ML.

Now trying to find who will do what, is becoming HUGE 'managing'
nightmare. I a not saying that OOo structure was the best one to
handle things but having so many projects and so many tasks did demand
some kind of categorization.

> Although we have all of this information (or at least most of it) on
> the website or wikis or mailing list archives, it is scattered all
> over the place.  I think it would be good if we could collect this
> information (or at least links to this information) into one place and
> put a linear order behind it, a step of specific steps we want new
> volunteers to take.

The thing is we kinda already had that. At least to an extend, again
it wasnt the perfect 'all-you-need-to-know bibile'. But we had
'contributing' which was a pseudo-project to collect 'getting started
guides' for the different vains the project was going. This will
direct new users to art, marketing, support, native-lang, programming
or qa/testing.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/contributing/

--
Alexandro Colorado