incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2012 00:12:13 GMT
On 10/6/12, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
> On 10/6/12, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  Since
>>>
>>> Well this would be confusing in itself, doesnt it already has a printed
>>> TM?
>>>

>> One thing that immediately springs to mind is that Inkscape is getting
>> used
>> for these drawings in preference to AOO Draw because it supports svg.  If
>> we are serious about a drawing component to AOO and to open standards we
>> must have a strategy to fully support svg. This has been an on-going
>> issue
>> since the start of OOo but it is getting more and more urgent as time
>> goes
>> on. Armin has done some great work, no doubt about it but we really need
>> take it further. I only wish I had the know how.
>
> Scribus, which is a DTP application in many ways similar and
> compatible with OOo Draw (and followups) also provide a very good
> support for SVG. This could be a great testcase to understand how they
> approach and support SVG's advanced features[1] like animation,
> scripting, and gradients.
>
> One big difference I have felt on Draw versus Inkscape (in practice)
> is the way curve lines work, is opposite to what inkcape and other
> tracing software (fontforge, sodipodi, gimp, etc) had us used to. The
> node's vertices behave on an opposite manner and make the drawing
> techniques vary somewhat. I am not sure why this is and hope a DTP
> expert can define a line between drawing and DTP.
>
> Funny enough the Scribus community reffers to us[2] for creating high
> quality graphics thanks to our sophisticate 3D extensions on objects.
>
> [1]http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=4732 |
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1701
> [2]http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_Create_a_High-Quality_Chart_Using_OpenOffice.org_and_Scribus

Further chat with the people on the #scribus chatroom on IRC they
point me out about the way they handle SVG, which is through a Plugin.
http://sourceforge.net/p/scribus/trunk/ci/08c3ce529d3e508802200fdb0fe67bc9f00000e0/tree/Scribus/scribus/plugins/import/svg/

By the way, there is also some good documentation on the way they hand
the ODG fileformat (OO draw native fileformat)
http://sourceforge.net/p/scribus/trunk/ci/08c3ce529d3e508802200fdb0fe67bc9f00000e0/tree/Scribus/scribus/plugins/import/oodraw/

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice