incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2012 22:58:15 GMT
On 10/6/12, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 October 2012 22:23, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/6/12, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>> > I think the OP is asking about printed forms, as on a bumper sticker.
>>  Since
>> > they are presumably enlarged, the provision of trademark information in
>> > small but readable type at/around the margin would probably work.
>>
>> Well this would be confusing in itself, doesnt it already has a printed
>> TM?
>>

> One thing that immediately springs to mind is that Inkscape is getting used
> for these drawings in preference to AOO Draw because it supports svg.  If
> we are serious about a drawing component to AOO and to open standards we
> must have a strategy to fully support svg. This has been an on-going issue
> since the start of OOo but it is getting more and more urgent as time goes
> on. Armin has done some great work, no doubt about it but we really need to
> take it further. I only wish I had the know how.

Scribus, which is a DTP application in many ways similar and
compatible with OOo Draw (and followups) also provide a very good
support for SVG. This could be a great testcase to understand how they
approach and support SVG's advanced features[1] like animation,
scripting, and gradients.

One big difference I have felt on Draw versus Inkscape (in practice)
is the way curve lines work, is opposite to what inkcape and other
tracing software (fontforge, sodipodi, gimp, etc) had us used to. The
node's vertices behave on an opposite manner and make the drawing
techniques vary somewhat. I am not sure why this is and hope a DTP
expert can define a line between drawing and DTP.

Funny enough the Scribus community reffers to us[2] for creating high
quality graphics thanks to our sophisticate 3D extensions on objects.

[1]http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=4732 |
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1701
[2]http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_Create_a_High-Quality_Chart_Using_OpenOffice.org_and_Scribus

--