incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: Which See Gull is Our Logo?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 18:51:58 GMT
On 10/4/12, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>
>> Here is a comparison of original Orb taken from Stella's site compared
>> to my version of SVG.
>>
>> Unfortunately it was very hard to recreate everything, the shadows and
>> also counter glow on the lower part of the sphere are not identical
>> and also some color gradiance might be slightly unsaturazied.
>>
>> http://imagebin.org/230878
>>
>> Still Gulls are the right size and maybe some node cleanups might be
>> necesary but proportions are correct.
>>

> Alexandro --
>
> Well  a very good effort!  I saw we had
>
>  http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/orb.jpg
>
> and moved it to AOO_logos.
>
> I will see what else I can find when I get a moment...either on the
> MediaWiki or elsewhere. This IS the orb used in our current logo,
> though...the one imacat asked about.

I understand, however this is a rasterized image and hard to adapt to
any size proportion, I am trying to get either a 99% exact copy on SVG
so that we could get this on native XML/SVG/Canvas source and start
documenting the guidelines for creating the 'orb'.

At the same time, this is a bit uncertain since other conversations
are about pushing for a new logo which could potentially make this
work irrelevant. I will keep working on the orb I provided, and see if
I can get a generalize approval from the community.

At the moment the only real documentation is on the OpenOffice.org
brand refresh, and even if there has been a new logo(Incubator), it
was somewhat mounted on the original Oracle brand refresh (color
palette and such). There is also not much documentation on the
application and mime-type guidelines design, or unified ODF.

I also wonder which is the name of the typeface of the "Apache
OpenOffice" and if there any native SVG. The one I found was just a
Jpg wrapped inside an SVG file, no vectors/nodes/etc.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice