incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ACEU 2012 - travel subsidy Gary E. Domke
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 14:57:49 GMT
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM, gary_domke <gary_domke@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Gary E. Domke
>

> gary_domke@sbcglobal.net
>

> incubator
>

> I've been an Open Office user since the inception of the community and
> program (incubator) and do truly love the concept, the product and the
> nature of the contributors.  I'm 66 years old, a "semi-retired" executive
> vice president of a stock brokerage and investment banking firm (somewhat
> dependent on my social security checks to put food on my table).  I'm
> slightly more technologically competent than most people my age, have built
> several computers starting with Heathkit and Commodore PET products back in
> the '70s.  I've written a couple of tiny and unsophisticated programs in
> Basic and C+ at various times that served my purpose.  I helped establish
> the original MIRC and was sysop for the #new2mirc training link visited by
> thousands of users as a first step to using Internet Relay Chat.    Even
> with that very limited (self - taught) level of knowledge, I'm frequently
> asked to assist clients, family and friends with computer issues, problems
> or to provide guidance about purchases of hardware or selection of
> appropriate software.
>
>     I think a forum like ApacheCon EU might benefit from input at my level
> of expertise.  I could well be the "proto-typical" end user of Open Office.
> I'm a gifted public speaker, friendly, outgoing and reasonably personable.

The project needs people like you, no questions. Besides the annual
conference(s) in
Europe and North America, there is a range of Apache style events including
BarCamps, Meetups, Hackathons, etc. Of these a Meetup is a dedicated
meeting of local OpenOffice community members. Would you consider looking
into organizing a Meetup in your locale?

Re. ACE ... There is a small committee evaluating proposals such as
yours. The chair
is currently on holiday, returning next week.

Where are you located?

>     Following a couple of unfortunate personal events, I no longer have the
> resources to pay for travel outside of the range of a couple of tanks of
> gasoline.
>
>     I'd love to attend and believe I could make a contribution.  Lacking any
> personal financial resources of significance and without any corporate or
> TAC funding,  I'd need the full subsidy, discount and 600,000EUR to be able
> to make the trip.  It'd be great if I could stay for several nights.
>
>     Every product development process should have input from typical
> end-users.  I'm about as typical as you'll find anywhere on the planet.

Don't hesitate to contribute as a power user. While this list is dense and
difficult to track, you will see topics and discussions on product requirements.
Your inputs will be most appreciated.