incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need new logo for openoffice.apache.org
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:16:55 GMT
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>wrote:

> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>  On 10/22/12, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>>> hmmm...well, OK. I think I remember something like this now. Should we
>>> use Alexandro's new one at:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/download/**attachments/27834483/**
>>> ApacheOpenOfficeTM.svg<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/ApacheOpenOfficeTM.svg>
>>>
>> AFAIK there was no resolution on the fonts, the discussion ended on
>> asking Michael Acevedo, but he never replied.
>>

> Exactly. And this means we cannot use Alexandro's SVG since it is not a
> 100% reproduction of the bitmap by Michael Acevedo (the orb is perfectly
> done in SVG and it is the only SVG version of the orb we have available,
> since we never received one from Oracle; but the text has a slightly
> different formatting).

The SVG was done by Alexandro from Michael's bitmap IIRC.  Michael's was
never "official", it was just the one that happened to be available.  There
was never any consensus that Michael's was going to be anything other than
a stop-gap for a first release from the ApacheOO podling.  Going forward
there needs to be proposals and discussion and a new branding that reflects
the New OpenOffice.

> We have two separate issues here:
> that reflects this community
> 1) Collecting and consolidating all versions of the logo we are using;
> here a 95% accuracy is not acceptable. These versions should be placed
> under http://www.openoffice.org/**images/AOO_logos/<http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/>or
anyway under SVN.

> 2) Collecting proposals that can be useful as inspiration for a new visual
> identity; here it is of course acceptable to have variants of the
> "official" logos, but these should remain proposals and be placed in the
> wiki or such, possibly in pages that do not confuse a reader who types
> "OpenOffice logo" in a search engine.

The new branding should have been discussed when I first brought it up last
year.  Any logos that are in use now, are stopgaps nothing more.  They are
simply rehashes of an old brand, we need shake off the Oracle detritus and
make our own mark, one that is owned and created by the Apache OpenOffice
community.

Cheers
GL