incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fan Zheng <zheng.easy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache and ODF
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 07:42:44 GMT
Hi, All:

I am confused about the UX specifications of document representation
requirement on mobile devices, that which is the most first important point
should be, the different device condition adaptability of layout result? or
the fidelity of the document originally recorded?

For example. An ODT format text document with several pages sized as
"Letter", which is physically defined as 279:216 (ratio as 1.29), and user
want to render it in a Kindle Fire, which supplies a 1024:600 (ratio as
1.71) screen for presenting. If we do much more care about the adaptability
of representation, lots data recorded inside the file will be changed,
removed or even ignored. But, if we care about the fidelity much more, we
have to record all the document data inside, and rendering it on the
devices dutifully. In the case, all we could do for the UX, is to give some
adjustable scale.  Such differences are meaning not only the pagination
stuff, but also some solid data inside: thinking about a full
page-width-size table for instance.

Of cause, all the former document editor/viewer applications for desktop,
will obey the "Keep Fidelity" as the very first rule. But what about the
mobile device platforms?

As such differences will actually lead the solution into the different
direction, we maybe should make it clear before having a deeper discussion.

Thanks.

ZhengFan