incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Graduation timeline: A reminder for project members, press and list observers
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:40:26 GMT
Sent from my tablet
On Oct 12, 2012 6:29 PM, "Andrea Pescetti" <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> As a minor update, the only observation we received so far (besides a
substantial number of +1 votes, no abstentions or -1) was that almost all
the proposed PMC members do not belong to other Apache projects; our
mentors were asked if they perceived this as a problem, and we didn't get
an answer from them so far.

Actually the observation was that there's only one Member. The motivation
behind this concern is twofold (note this is my interpretation, not
necessarily the view of the person asking the question):

This is a large and complex project that is requiring the ASF to adapt in
many areas and resist other changes. Therefore the Membership needs to be
in agreement about foundational issues. The lack of members on the PMC
means might be limited early visibility into upcoming foundational issues.

Secondly, this is a large and complex project that would benefit a great
deal from the ongoing support of ASF Members from a community perspective.
I, and other mentors voted +1 on the recommendation so clearly we believe
that the PPMC is in good shape. But it doesn't yet have deep roots in the
Apache Way. This is not about the health of the PPMC it is about the need
for guidance (for example, I like to think I'm pretty much in control of my
own affairs but I still bounce things to my life coach occasionally).
However, graduating doesn't remove access to mentoring, it just changes the
role of those mentors.

These things need to be remembered by the community as a whole. In
particular members need to ensure that they actively engage with the ASF
and use the support and guidance available to ensure AOO continues to
develop healthily. Personaly, I see a problem that needs to be managed but
not one that should slow graduation.

Hopefully this will be the last time I speak with an official mentor hat on
;)

Ross