incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO volunteers: essential skills and tasks
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:30:49 GMT
After a day of work, maybe I should elaborate on what I mean:

Having read your documents in detail, which I really find SUPER, I see one
challenge:

"old" people in the mailing list pretty much knows who is working on (sort
of responsible for) a given part, so they have no problems with "proposals"
since they know who to approach, and the JFDI methods works well.

new volunteers who wants to follow what happens and do a little here and
there, will typically not make [proposals] but do JFDI on the wiki, and
otherwise look for questions.

The last part, those who want to be integrated and help move things, do
have a slight problem:
[proposals] might not even be responded to, especially if they fall in one
of two catagories:
- this is something we have discussed before
- somebody is working on the theme
JFDI method might be even worse, because you spent hours doing something
sent it off to a committer and zero....

I believe in both methods, but I really believe that JFDI should be AFJFDI
(asf first if anyone is working on it), and then do it. The proposal part
is a bit harder, and maybe your document should state "wait with proposals
until you are integrated in the commnity".

once again, your document are SUPER...the rest is just my experience.
jan.