incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From jan iversen <>
Subject Re: discussion on new l10n workflow
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:34:56 GMT
Thanks for your reply.

On 19 October 2012 22:33, Andrea Pescetti <> wrote:

> On 17/10/2012 jan iversen wrote:
>> Would it be an idea to have 1 UI file pr directory in main (that would be
>> so easy to implement) and 1 Help file pr directory in helpContent2 ?
> Yes, this might work. Sure the current 276 files are too many, while
> consolidating too much on the other hand is very inconvenient for sharing
> work. What we should preserve is that is someone is the, say, "Calc guy" in
> the, say, Polish team, then he can be given PO (or other format, this is
> irrelevant) files for the Calc UI and the Calc Help. This enables easy and
> safe division of work.

I agree...but I am not sure we can make the files for like calc, if I am
correct the directories in main does not directly relate to a product part,
many of the directories seems to be generic, but I might be wrong ?

My intentions right now is to propose that each directory is a single
translation file and helpcontent2 is split at that level, but there will be
a new file combine.lst, where we can combine several directories into one.
That way we are flexible but it is still easy to develop.

>  also check the letter accellerators (Ca~ncel) I have a
>> very strong suspicion that they are not always identical.
> This is not important. Actually, if I recall correctly we even deprecated
> them at a point. We are not talking about keyboard shortcuts here (e.g.,
> CTRL-S to open a file); we are talking about the, much less common,
> "accelerators", i.e., saving with ALT-F then S. OpenOffice will assign
> these accelerators automatically when they are not set using the "~" in the
> strings, and it makes sense to let OpenOffice assign them, since they are
> not listed in the documentation. Moreover, assigning them manually is very
> error-prone since it often results in conflicts, while automatic
> attribution doesn't.

Should we the consistency checker than make a warning when they are used
(which happens approx. 500 times in the danish files) ??

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

For your information I have found a way of splitting the discussion of a
new l10n workflow from the discussion of file formats. That is I have
succeed (I think) in making a workflow that does not rely on the fileformat.