incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion on new l10n workflow
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:18:58 GMT
Thanks for your kind words.

see below please:

On 24 October 2012 19:49, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> On 12-10-16, at 12:22 , jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Finally I have finished describing the current process, and also
> combining
> > all the notes on open issues I could find.
> >
> Thanks. A lot of work. Last it was dealt with was probably (prior to
> Apache's advent) back in…. I hate to say, "last century."
>
> > Please have a look at:
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:L10proc.pdf
> Indeed.
>

> > and
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_AOO
> >
> > I hope we can have a discussion on the "open issues", and then I will
> make
> > a design document for a changed workflow.
> >
> > I look forward to hear your opinion, either through wiki or mail. These
> > comments will be worked into the document.
> >
> > have a nice day.
> > jan I
>
> I'll go over it. Usually, as others no doubt will mention, my impression
> is that a big issue has always been qualifying the outcome, incorporating
> input, and normalizing it, so that what happens in, say, January, can be
> expected to continue on into the future.

It was a big job, first describing the current process and run it several
times to make sure I understood it, and then think about how to do more
robust and future oriented. I have had a helping hand from my professional
background where I used to manage project with these kind of problemsets.

I would appreciate any input, this is a floating process,
development/discussion.

> A sidle point has perhaps also do with working with the LibreOffice
> team—and others working using similar strings, e.g., those nice people at
> that Mozilla project, among others. Under the Sun regime, licensing issues
> foreclosed that option. I'd hate to think we are still hobbled by political
> considerations and that these undercut the terrific enterprise of people
> like you.

I am very open minded to that respect, but honestly I have no idea what the
apache policy is.