incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO volunteers: essential skills and tasks
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:03:33 GMT
Sorry, I think I was a bit to argumentative last night, I really like your
idea

I have added a few comments below.

jan.

On 20 October 2012 00:18, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I think it is a good starting point, however I dont like the notation
> > "level 1", is looks like a graduation process, and I have to ask myself
> > where am I on that latter.
> >

> I don't want suggest that everyone must go through these steps.  An
> experienced open source volunteer probably would just skim this
> material.  Someone who is a Committer on another Apache project would
> probably skip over it altogether.
>
> The name "Level 1" doesn't matter.  We can call it "Stage 1", or even
> "Introduction".  But there is an explicit ordering, and giving numbers
> is the natural way to express an ordering.  But I am sensitive to
> having these stages give the feeling of accomplishment without
> becoming unwelcome status markers.

Your list is quite OK, may I suggest calling "help to get started", and of
course you are right about the numbering, it was the sense of having to
cross a bridge that caught me.

> > 1) Introduce yourself (by the way I think I have forgotten that).
> >    why do it on the mailling list, when Wiki ask you for more or less the
> > exact same type of information.
> >

> This is more for the benefit of existing project volunteers already
> subscribed to ooo-dev.  This gives them the opportunity to see who is
> getting involved.  They might recognize some names.  If so they can
> reach out to offer additional help and encouragement.
>

> > 2) I like that.
> >
> > 3) +1, but I will never understand why it is a mailing list and not a
> > forum, where it is so much easier to look at history
> >

> Mailing lists are the lowest common denominator technologies.  You can
> access email from nearly any device, online or offline, using plain
> text.
>
> It is important to note that as a project we don't directly control
> mailing lists, websites, Bugzilla, etc., except at the level of the
> content and application admin functions.  The sysadmin functions are
> done ASF-wide by a group of volunteers that we call the Apache
> Infrastructure team.  Since they are maintaining services for over 100
> projects, there are limits to how much customization each project can
> have.  This is a consideration for maintenance as well as server
> resources and security.  So there is a something like a "menu" of
> tools we have access to, and which are supported by the Infra team.
> But changing the menu is more difficult.
>
> > 4+5) yes, but that has not much to do specifically with AOO.
> >

> Right.  But these are practical issues that have come up with past
> volunteers.   For any such document we need to assume some initial
> skill/knowledge level.  This means those who have these skills already
> will find some items unnecessary.  This is hard to avoid.
>

> > 7) the project planning part seems a bit of a contradiction, look at
> > localization planning as an example.
> >

> Maybe calling it "Project Coordination" would be more accurate.  CWiki
> is what we've been using to coordinate the various efforts of a major
> project-wide initiative, like a specific release.   For example, we're
> using a page now to coordinate graduation-related infrastructure
> changes:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Graduation+Infrastructure+Changes

I think it is wise to have coordination pages, and needed with the number
of people involved.

> > Sorry for being frank, I do not want to be non-polite, but a lot of these
> > items just highlight my difficulties.
> >

> Nothing on this page is going to help with the current localization
> process.  I'm hoping that, with your help, we resolve that in
> parallel.

I know that, I am past most of these items, but they are important for
other volunteers, I assume you saw the list I made on l10n, and got one
very long reply related to localization.

I work quite a lot at the moment to get the proposal finished and the
l10n.openoffice.org updated.