incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Do we need a new site logo (for graduation) -- call for volunteers
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 16:32:11 GMT
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com>wrote:

> Sounds like a great opportunity to clean up the graphic resources
>
> Do we have an inventory of all locations where the logo occurs throughout
> the product touch points: web, applications, docs etc?

Not that I personally am aware of, but I have never been involved in the
"art" aspects. I'm sure others in this conversation can help though.

And, given comments here from a few others, and the time frame we're
looking at for graduation -- maybe even as soon as a month -- I think we
should focus on maybe just a  few changes at the moment: perhaps replacing
the right corner Apache incubator logo with a normal Apache logo; changes
in top navigation tabs;  maybe a few header changes; and formatting changes.

This being said, I think a more widespread re-branding effort is certainly
warranted say for a 4.0 release.  So, it is probably not too early to start
thinking about this.

> On Oct 4, s.2012, at 11:17 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I agree, an updated visual identity would be a great way to refresh our
> >> application visuals and appear more contemporary. Website branding
> should
> >> align with this broader brand direction.
> >>
> >> Updating the logo should be part if a broader branding initiative which
> >> includes creative new artwork for app icons, file icons as well as
> graphics
> >> for install, start screens, wizards, about box and others.
> >>
> >> I have been sketching and created some mockups for a number of these
> >> elements. I'll upload when back from vacation.
> >>
> >> I'll volunteer to lead this activity.
> >>

> > I actually don't agree with having a new logo, simply because even the
> > current  one hasnt been completely integrated with the product and is
> > creating  huge lag between this logo proposals, the trademark and the
> > actual look and feel of the application.
> >
> > I applaud the efforts on maybe having a new design on the website, but a
> > new logo? Just the wiki had a change from the old Oracle logo to the new
> > one (orb logo) last week.
> >
> > Today I point out a lot of discrepancies between the logo on the Visual
> > design site (an old one from OOo 3.2 days) and the current status of 3.4
> > and it hasn't been implemented. [1]
> >
> > Even at the moment, there are different orbs floating around such as the
> > orb on the start center of OOo 3.4 is different from the 8-bit solid orb.
> > [2]
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201210.mbox/%3cCAMK9kTiqEUcghLksDaBP2sgCSkhP7VuVpxF2asE9k-r6XdXX=g@mail.gmail.com%3e
> > [2] http://imagebin.org/230827