incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][WWW] style and content changes to home page
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:28:20 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > Please have a look when you get a moment at the test area for home pages
> in:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/test/
> >
> > I have moved what were basically permanent items on our social networking
> > areas and blog to the
> > "I want to stay in touch..." area. Also, I edited the styling giving ~66%
> > to the main menu items and ~33% to the "campaign" items to deal with
> > annoyances on both browser and mobile devices.
> >
> > I am  invoking *lazy consensus* on these changes and put this in place
> > sometime on Sat, PDT -- say 15:30, unless there are objections.
> >
> > as a short ps. I did discover, after some investigation into the actual
> > html for our generated web site, that we do indeed already have ssi
> enabled
> > for ALL ".html" files for our entire site.
>
> I told you that was the case more than once, but I guess you had to figure
> it out yourself.

Well you did I have no doubt. I probably misunderstood what you were trying
to say,  and yes, did have to figure it out myself.  :/ It was obvious when
I saw what actually got generated from the build. Duh...I guess I should
have looked at this a lot sooner.

> > So, if that helps anyone in any
> > way. I am already investigating and testing this to deal with the ongoing
> > "news" area.
> >
> > Set up file extensions for your includes with some other than ".html" --
> > used ".ssi" -- and away you go!
>
> Or, modify the behavior of ooo-site/trunk/lib/path.pm to do a
> transformation of xml or mdtext into a ssi.

Well I originally just wanted to use a simple ".ssi" for the News business
to get away from editing and archiving entries as we do now. This was
before Rob's suggestions about xml feeds etc.  At any rate, I'm sure
there's a lot that could be done. Right now, I'm having issues getting
includes to work with my local setup...so after I get that gong, I'll do
more testing, and make more changes to our header portions.

> There is more to learn about it. You can ask about it directly or find my
> emails in the archives.

OK...I'll do that. Maybe at some point, we could work on providing
additional information in our instructions as well -- maybe "Advanced
Website Techniques" or something.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
> > dealt  with a cat."
> >                                                -- Robert Heinlein

MzK

 dealt  with a cat."