incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 22:33:39 GMT
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:05 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

ASF?

>>> Unfortunately - that does seem to be the case.  I'm not sure if that is really
a problem, though.

>> I don't think it is.
>>

>>> A lot of these domains were acquired as a defensive measure, and I am not sure
there is currently a substantial problem  with these 'similar domains'.

>> Quite. I was working with the legal team at Sun and then Oracle on these and a) not
many of them and b) the efforts were targeted and defensive and did not really map to any
aggressive outreach strategy. Actually, to say a nice thing about a certain set of companies,
the efforts really were directed to shelter the most active communities.

> I did a series of whois requests on these domains. They seems to be registered with Tucows
on auto-renewal:

> eg:
> Domain ID:D159673109-LROR
> Domain Name:IT-OPENOFFICE.ORG
> Created On:16-Jul-2010 19:33:15 UTC
> Last Updated On:17-Jun-2012 06:09:50 UTC
> Expiration Date:16-Jul-2013 19:33:15 UTC
> Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
>

>>> Also, if a problem does arise, we have the trademark to protect the brand.
>>
>> Yes, but perhaps we can start a new thread  or threads that can finalize this issue
and re-frame it not as a set of defensive tactics but as a strategy to promote AOO, and to
use the domains as vehicles for that promotion….

> The thread name is correct. This is old business..
>
> Choice 1 - work to transfer domains to the ASF so that the AOO can "do something" with
these domains.

> In order to take control of the DNS for each domain we need someone with Apache Infrastructure
karma to work in concert with the proper person from Oracle in order to transfer all of these
domain registrations.

Right. If they're on "auto-renewal", would this mean that Oracle got
billed and paid for them or ???

> Choice 2 - ignore these domains. Let Oracle know we don't care. They can make their own
choice about renewing these domains or not.

I don't know when the renewal dates are but my DNS info indicates they
sill *belong* to Oracle, so my assumption is they've been renewed by
Oracle. So, maybe we're really at Choice 1. (at least many of the
*.org ones resolves, the *.com ones don't. I didn't check them all
however.)

If we do still want them, we need an Oracle contact.

Assuming we want to proceed with this, Andrew can you provide an
Oracle contact via  a JIRA ticket to INFRA, and we'll see where we get
with this.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>>> Andrew