incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Policy question: How to link to books about OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:32:07 GMT
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On 02/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> >>
> >> One way to think of it is to treat the publisher or author (for
> >> self-published books) as the "consultant" in the terms of the policy.
> >> They are the ones providing the service, via their book.  So we would
> >> allow linking to the author's website or the publisher's website...
> >>
> >> Otherwise, same criteria as consultants -- factual list, respect
> >> trademark, impartial,  rel="nofollow", etc.
> >> Does this make sense?
> >

> > Yes, nice idea. Another difference would be that we probably want to keep
> > books listed indefinitely, while we might want to enforce some
> (long-term)
> > "renewal process" for consultants if we notice that records tend to
> become
> > outdated.
> >

> I took a look on Amazon (the U.S. website, in case it differs by
> country), and I see the following books published since June 2012.
> This is just the ones that mention "OpenOffice" in the title:
>

> Sept 29:   A Conceptual Guide to OpenOffice.org 3 [Kindle Edition]
> Gabriel Gurley
>
> Sept. 27:  Practical Open Source Office: LibreOffice(TM) and Apache
> OpenOffice [Paperback] June Jamrich Parsons
>
> Sept 22:  How to create your own e-books with OpenOffice / LibreOffice
> [Kindle Edition] S├ębastien Cismondo
>
> Sept 1: Navigate - OpenOffice Writer [Kindle Edition] KMG Publishing
> Limited
>
> Sept 1: OpenOffice 3.4 [Paperback] Winfried Seimert
>
> Aug 22: OpenOffice Impress [Paperback] Niek Yoan (Editor)
>
> July 11:  Getting Started with OpenOffice (LibreOffice): The Free
> Replacement for Microsoft Office [Kindle Edition] Rob Spahitz
>
> June 29: Jambo OpenOffice [Paperback] Jesse Russell (Editor), Ronald
> Cohn (Editor)
>
> June 28:  Getting Started with OpenOffice.org 3 [Kindle Edition] OOo
> Authors (Author)
>
> June 11:  OpenOffice.org XML [Paperback] Jesse Russell (Editor),
> Ronald Cohn (Editor)
>

> I think that is more books on OpenOffice in that time frame than we've
> done blog posts!
>

> Of course, things might not be what they seem.  That's why I'm
> hesitant to just list every book that is published.  Some of these
> might just be reprints by 3rd parties of existing material that is
> already public on the web under a CC or other free documentation
> license.  Two of them look like print outs of Wikipedia articles.  But
> still there appear to be some real books here, short format e-books as
> well as full-length paperbacks.
>

> So what should we do?  List all of these (plus the others from earlier
> in 2012) ?   List them only when requested (like we do with
> consultants)?

Well it's interesting that you put this in, as I was just thinking along
these lines after seeing the work you did with the consultants area.

So, I would go for this option.

Or again, just through it some search "teasers" at a few sites and let it
go at that.

>  List them but screen out ones that we consider to be
> "low value", e.g., an identical reprint of a free eBook?

I would not recommend this option...

The OpenOffice sessions at ApacheConEU might provide a good way for more
outreach to what is considered ecosystem elements: consultants,
distribution channels, authors, etc..

I would recommend maybe some way of advertising the new consultants
listing, and, if we decided something similar is good for authors, that
too. At the very least, even if few participants in these areas show up, we
surely would get some press from outreach like this.
Just an idea...

> -Rob
>

> > Regards,
> >   Andrea.