incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BItTorrents -- do we care?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 23:38:03 GMT
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dude...Are you citing yourself?
>
> Don

No, I cited Vint Cerf agreeing with me wrt residential broadband
should be symmetric (same upstream speed as downstream). That´s what
really sets apart passive consummers of web info to active
contributors of information and content to the rest of the Net (and
no, your 768K won´t cut it).

Until upstream speeds get above 1Mbit, ´cloud´ is a pipe dream.

I´m perfectly aware of the ´power of swarms´. When I get 10Mbit
upstream, maybe I could devote 1/10th of it to torrent seeding. Until
then, no thanks, I´m struggling with my curent 1Mbit FTTH upstream.

On DOCSIS cable modems, things are even worse, as sending data upstream also
affects downstream speeds...

----
Severe upstream congestion.

Even with the new DOCSIS 3.0, upstream bandwidth is quite limited in
cable systems. When shared between an entire neighborhood, this can
cause speed problems—and not just for uploads. (This is why Comcast's
P2P blocking system only targeted the upload link.)

Users seeding .torrent files or uploading photo sets to Flickr will
see a slowdown anytime the upstream link is congested, of course, but
so will plenty of other users. TCP, the most common protocol on the
Internet, relies on a stream of acknowledgements to make sure that
data is arriving accurately at its destination. In the case of a
severely overloaded uplink, such acknowledgements may be delayed,
which can in turn affect a user's downloads. (This does not apply to
"fire and forget" protocols like UDP.)
---
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009/05/why-your-cable-internet-connection-gets-slow/

Which is why cable modem technology sucks big time. I would never
depend on shared coax last mile (or quarter mile) for my broadband.

So there...
FC