incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BItTorrents -- do we care?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:10:26 GMT
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Meshing implicitly leads to participatory culture.

I disagree stongly. Seeding torrents is a bandwith-intensive, and
particularly upstream-intensive proposition. Most residential
broadband links -at least down here in .AR- are limited to 512K to 256
Kbps upstream speed. Only a minority has FTTH or DOCSIS 3.0 cable
modems, and in those insteances upstream has an average on 1 Mbit.

Torrenting -and particularly seeding- only starts to get interesting
with upstream speeds above 1Mbit.

On the other hand if you have 256 Kbps of upstream and suddenly you
find yourself seeding a popular file to several users at once, you
suddenly find that your ´broadband´ sucks, ie, you can´t send any big
email attachment or upload files to the cloud because all your tiny
upstream is being used by the torrents. -yes, one can fine-tune the bw
allocation, but as I said above, with upstream speeds as low as 512K
or 256K  any fraction of a tiny pipe is an even tinier pipe.

So, in the words of Vint Cerf "residential broadband connections are crippled"

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1016487/home-broadband-customers-are-crippled-vint-cerf-reckons

FC

- George Orwell