incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Impossible Question
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:44:56 GMT

On 12-10-26, at 17:38 , Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On 12-10-26, at 17:25 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, the real question, Louis, is what do *you* want to do?
>>
>> Be cynical, or I mean, more cynical.
>>
>> Seriously, I have the same objections and observations as you do but I've
>> also spent 11 years dealing with people who don't. No one thing will work.
>> That's why I suggest multiple redundancies, and to place the instances
>> alerting users of opportunities in key areas—the download, for instance
>> (where we also used to locate contribution options), but also the Help,
>> About, etc. But what's usually best is to follow what others have done, and
>> to figure that the path has been torched, it's the one that will be
>> followed, so let's use it.
>>

> Louis--
>
> I see "Support" on the home page as it's own major link; "Support" as a tab
> available from all pages; and "Support" (probably not best placed) on the
> download page in Documentation. We could certainly move this to "Additional
> Information" or its own category placement.
>
> If you feel something additional might help, it would be best to state some
> specific navigation areas or ????

I see it too; and that was implicit in my initial point. My brief is that nothing will in
and of itself work perfectly but that a multiple of approaches will probably work better than
a single one, at least for users. You ought to know this: we went through this very discussion
more than once with OpenOffice, and a resolution of it was the homepage we ended up with.

Kay, I'm not criticizing or deprecating the effort or the page we have now. Is that clear?
I am rather alerting us to the fax that it's not perfect—but then nothing is. This is a
persistent issue. Some solutions will work better than others but none is perfect. But, that
does not mean we ought not to experiment with options.

Louis