incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: The Impossible Question
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 23:57:39 GMT

On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> Hi
> Every now and then a user finds the experience of downloading, installing, using AOO
disappointing and frankly frustrating if not worse. They will usually go to the user forums,
but sometimes they will contact the Apache Foundation directly. Okay, but this does not really
help them.

> What we did with OpenOffice was set up a Support page, which has since been moved to
here, http://www.openoffice.org/support/. It's pretty much an improved version of the old
but of course the "ecosystem" needs further fleshing out—it suffers from a lack of substantial
existence.

> I'm also not persuaded that the route to it from either the application download page
or homepage or wherever is redundantly clear enough for the befuddled enduser who installs
AOO to replace his or her whatever suite and doesn't really know where to go…..

> So, my query is the usual impossible question: What can we do to make it clearer to the
puzzled and frustrated how to get help? Sure, we can have a knowledge base (kb), FAQ, etc.,
and also enthusiastic community members.

> But what would you suggest as a path, or paths for the user? I personally would include
something in the installation sets that point to the support page above; but also banners,
say, or tags, stickers—glaringly obvious neon coloured blinking lights?—to relay users
to useful pages.

> Ideas?

We could emulate a version of what the ASF does to highlight the many projects. Take a look
at www.apache.org - you will see a feature project section.

Perhaps on www.openoffice.org we can add a "Featured Support Question / Language / News".
This would be backed by an xml file of FAQs, Languages and News which would randomly be selected
every day and republished to the front page.

Regards,
Dave