incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:05:04 GMT

On 12-10-31, at 14:17 , Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/2012 8:54 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4906
>>>
>>> I guess it's not been on the top of any of our lists.  The domains were
>>> opened up for transfer on the Oracle side (not sure if that times out).
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>
>> Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what this means though. :/
>>
>> Oracle didn't renew them and now these domains are up for grabs?
> Unfortunately - that does seem to be the case.  I'm not sure if that is really a problem,
though.

I don't think it is.

> A lot of these domains were acquired as a defensive measure, and I am not sure there
is currently a substantial problem  with these 'similar domains'.

Quite. I was working with the legal team at Sun and then Oracle on these and a) not many of
them and b) the efforts were targeted and defensive and did not really map to any aggressive
outreach strategy. Actually, to say a nice thing about a certain set of companies, the efforts
really were directed to shelter the most active communities.

> Also, if a problem does arise, we have the trademark to protect the brand.

Yes, but perhaps we can start a new thread  or threads that can finalize this issue and re-frame
it not as a set of defensive tactics but as a strategy to promote AOO, and to use the domains
as vehicles for that promotion….

> Andrew

-louis