incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX] OpenOffice iconset consistency
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 02:13:39 GMT
KG01- see comments inline.

On Oct 5, 2012, at 6:47 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:

> On 10/4/12, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...see below...
>>
>> On 10/03/2012 07:24 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>> Have a question regarding on the integration of iconset with OpenOffice.
>>> At
>>> the moment I have seen that there are still a lot of the design from OOo
>>> 3
>>> and even 2.4.
>>>
>>> One of the design that hasn't change is the iconset of the applications.
>>> OpenOffice application used to have an icon like [1], and the
>>> applications
>>> had them like [2], on 3.0 the iconset got a new look [3] , however this
>>> was
>>> applied only partially, since in the menu looked like this [4] and the
>>> internal applications like that[5]. The previous visual design page
>>> already
>>> listed the guidelines for the new iconset as well as samples within the
>>> different sizes of both application and filetypes [6], the new visual
>>> design page [7] also have some information regarding this, however the
>>> AOO
>>> releases hasn't followed.
>>>
>>> [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:OpenOffice.org_3_icon.png
>>> [2]
>>> http://robistech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Icons-Open-Office-Pack_1.png
>>> [3] http://rocketdock.com/images/screenshots/Open-Office-3.2.1.png
>>> [4]
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/ui/VisualDesign/gifs/Icons/refresh_icons/OOorg_WinXP_Startmenu.png
>>
>> On Linux, the only round icon I have is for the main "start" one -- the
>> orb with gulls. Nothing like [3]. Mostly what I have looks like [2].
>
> That was part of my point the icons seemed to be half-assed
> implemented even thought there is a complete documentation on how to
> implement them (sizes for applications as well as Unified ODF
> mime-types). Yet Linux seems to still hold 2.x version of icons
> (pre-galaxy) except for the main application icon (orb gull).
>
> As we move forward, how much of a priority is to finalize the
> implementation of galaxy icons on all distributions (Linux).

KG01 -  I hear you. We should strive for more brand consistency. Regarding energy, I hear
you. History shows is that it can be challenging to implement across platform. Tough, but
doable.

Moving forward, it sounds like we can mitigate such risk by ensuring we scope such efforts
better. In other words, we need a cross-platform inventory of where we are today and what
gaps exist. Then we can determine where to update the tools to drive consistency.

Finally, I think we'd all agree that we want consistent, professional and contemporary iconography
and branding. There are really only three paths: use existing, enhance existing, create new.

Let's explore where we are, and where we could go. No wrong answers.

I'll create some wiki pages to capture the visual identity inventories and create some pages
to allow people to submit their thoughts.