incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX]: potential new default color for application background
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:02:05 GMT
KG01 - see comments inline.

On Oct 19, 2012, at 7:17 AM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/2012 05:29 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 09:23:28AM -0300, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> That said, AOO look really horrible in dark themes, but that's another
>>> issue :)
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/startcenterhc.png
>> ugly, at least on Linux
>
> this  would be a definite NO for me!
>
> as for Juergen's original post with colors -- either one would work for me, and maybe
becasue of my color configuration, they don't look much different. :/

Kg01 - ideally, colours in the UI, outside the OS defaults should all draw from a common palette.
Candidates include: app icons, toolbar icons, thumbnails, wizard graphics, custom colour like
page background.

In this case, a default background colour change is fine, but only if the colour value is
harmonious with workspace. A goal is to make the page canvas more predominant so the user
can focus in the work. Selecting the wrong colour would only distract and stand out as odd.
Our brains interpret colour like sound, knowing when a colour does not belong. The wrong colour
is like playing some notes in a song out of key.

Let's explore any UI changes holistically.

Let get some design explorations into the UX opportunity  backlog.