incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>
Subject The Impossible Question
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:06:45 GMT
Hi
Every now and then a user finds the experience of downloading, installing, using AOO disappointing
and frankly frustrating if not worse. They will usually go to the user forums, but sometimes
they will contact the Apache Foundation directly. Okay, but this does not really help them.

What we did with OpenOffice was set up a Support page, which has since been moved to here,
http://www.openoffice.org/support/. It's pretty much an improved version of the old but of
course the "ecosystem" needs further fleshing out—it suffers from a lack of substantial
existence.

I'm also not persuaded that the route to it from either the application download page or homepage
or wherever is redundantly clear enough for the befuddled enduser who installs AOO to replace
his or her whatever suite and doesn't really know where to go…..

So, my query is the usual impossible question: What can we do to make it clearer to the puzzled
and frustrated how to get help? Sure, we can have a knowledge base (kb), FAQ, etc., and also
enthusiastic community members.

But what would you suggest as a path, or paths for the user? I personally would include something
in the installation sets that point to the support page above; but also banners, say, or tags,
stickers—glaringly obvious neon coloured blinking lights?—to relay users to useful pages.

Ideas?

Thanks
Louis