incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <>
Subject Re: The Impossible Question
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:07:21 GMT

On 12-10-31, at 02:48 , Kevin Grignon <> wrote:

> Great discussion on an important topic.
> If I may, I'd like to add a ux perspective.
> Support and help systems are very important and necessary, however, my goal
> is to mitigate the need to such assets at the tool level. For example,
> rather than put energey into updating the install documents, we could
> explore design alternatives to deliver a better install experience. One
> click install, with popular app marketplace integrations and easy updates
> come to mind. Then provide a great first use experience that helps users
> add extensions and configure their tools.
> More broadly, beyond install and config, we could look to bring the great
> support and user assistance assets to the user in the context of the tool
> itself. For example, we could integrate help and support into the task pane
> (side bar).
> Regards,
> Kevin

Thanks for the intervention; but no single solution of design or architecture or grace is
sufficient for the ingenuity demonstrated by the puzzled. That said, my desire is to move
to good design (using the 10 principles, among others, but they are good) and implicitly work
up from inclusive design principles, too.

I really don't think that an open source effort ought to be held hostage to legacy and even
obsolete provisions.

View raw message