incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] BoF session on AOO community
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 04:18:39 GMT

On 12-10-28, at 23:33 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> That's the way to grow.  Raising money to send the existing volunteers
> to travel to more places is only growth for the airline industry.  It
> is not growth for the project.  We need to find people who are able to
> succeed in a business based on enhancing or supporting the OpenOffice
> product to businesses and users..  A business based on promoting the
> OpenOffice open source project is not really a business model.  I
> don't think we want to encourage anyone to think of making a career as
> a professional OpenOffice community manager or anything like that.

hey! ;=) Though your contempt for community management is, I have to say, a little ironic,
given that's pretty much what you do.

But actually I agree with you here, in that what would work to enlarge the community of contributors
is not sending ambassadors here and there to little effect but to (and here I extend the argument)
to provide the resources for regional ecosystem growth.

Those resources are, I think, cheap. They are: website, badge, banners; guidelines for trademark;
wiki for suggestions, additions, and minimal provisions for beer and pizza (and its equivalents)
for initial meetings. In short, what you normally find at a LUG or so.

louis