incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:17:05 GMT

On 10/31/2012 8:54 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 10/30/2012 04:14 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:
>>
>> On 10/30/2012 1:39 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> Looking at old threads, I'm a bit confused about the outcome of this
>>> one:
>>>
>>> http://markmail.org/message/ldigtivvyy2su62u
>>>
>>> Currently some of the ".com" domains don't even show up on the DNS
>>> radar,
>>> and on the others remaining registered by Oracle. Was it the outcome of
>>> this discussion to have Oracle transfer the registrations to the ASF?
>>>
>>> I thought that was perhaps what we wanted to do, but ti doesn't seem to
>>> have happened yet.
>>>
>>> Andrew, can you shed some light? Thanks.

>> I guess it's not been on the top of any of our lists.  The domains were
>> opened up for transfer on the Oracle side (not sure if that times out).
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what this means though. :/
>
> Oracle didn't renew them and now these domains are up for grabs?
Unfortunately - that does seem to be the case.  I'm not sure if that is
really a problem, though.
A lot of these domains were acquired as a defensive measure, and I am
not sure there is currently a substantial problem  with these 'similar
domains'.
Also, if a problem does arise, we have the trademark to protect the brand.

Andrew