incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO volunteers: essential skills and tasks
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:51:31 GMT

On 10/28/2012 04:30 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 23/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> New Volunteer Orientation root page:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/
>>

>> This is an excellent resource. But we received a few requests from
>> prospective volunteers this weekend and I'm believing it would be
>> overwhelming to point them there. I still believe these documents are
>> excellent, but probably they are assuming our volunteer is above average, or
>> at least willing to engage deeply with the project. They would be perfect
>> for me, for you, or for a newcomer like Jan who has the skills and the
>> mindset to understand in detail how things work.
>>

> And how do we know in advance which volunteers are like Jan and which are not?
>
> I think we should find some way to point them to the info and say that
> they are welcome to jump in and ignore this all, or skim it in
> parallel with direct participation, or read through this stuff first.
> It is entirely up to them.
>
> But generally, the more one needs to interact with other project
> participants and other systems and even other parts of Apache, the
> more this information becomes useful.   Although not stated, one could
> almost say that "Level 4" would be becoming a Committer.  So you are
> correct that this is a track for a more determined volunteer,
>

>> But we will also have (and we do have: most volunteers I see on the mailing
>> lists in Italian fall in this category) volunteers who don't care that much
>> about OpenOffice as a project: they use the product and just want to give
>> something back. They want to scratch an itch, or just to do something, but
>> they are very task-oriented: they want something to do rather than something
>> to read. For example, we may have translation volunteers who would be
>> perfectly satisfied if we e-mail them a PO file and tell them to grab POEdit
>> and send the file back; and then they would consider a deeper engagement,
>> but not earlier.
>>

> Translation volunteers are different in many ways, but even there I
> think we need some solid orientation material.  They won't go far
> before wondering why they cannot write to Pootle and the website, but
> others can.  That leads us into discussion of roles at Apache, etc.
> And we really need to expose them to the Apache License at the
> earliest opportunity.  We do no one any favors if we're passing around
> PO files via private mail, and receiving translations without any
> public record of contribution.
>
> In any case, this is an issue we've had for a while.  Becoming a
> Committer is a higher hurdle than is appropriate for most translation
> volunteers, due to iCLA, etc.  The orientation guides did not create
> this problem, they merely remind us of it.
>
>> And indeed they are not totally wrong: knowing how the Apache Board works is
>> not needed to be able to translate a press release, or a few OpenOffice
>> strings, into Italian.

> [...]

Rob,

I still support this whole notion. But, maybe it would be better to go
with more of a "checklist" style instead of the in-depth explanations
you have in this document.

What if you ported this to the wiki (Jan suggested this as well. cwiki
is easiest for me but I have no object to wiki.openoffice.org) so those
of us that are interested can more easily contribute to this worthwhile
guide.

Thanks for starting this. It is needed.

MzK

  dealt with a cat."