incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice Developer Room (devroom) at FOSDEM
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:01:23 GMT
On 26/10/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> There is another opportunity not to miss: we can propose a (technical)
> talk about Apache OpenOffice as a Main Track Talk, see the same page.
> Deadline 31 October. It would be good if Juergen, or another developer,
> took the occasion to show something about OpenOffice and the challenges
> ahead.

Updates:

1) Deadline for Main Track Talks extended to 1 Dec, see
https://fosdem.org/2013/ ; any high-profile developer willing to propose
something? By the way, these are the only sponsored speakers.

2) Call for stands is open until 28 Nov:
https://fosdem.org/2013/call_for_stands.html ; stands are not that big
(a table with 2 chairs) and the requirement is that they are manned by
at least 2 persons on Saturday and Sunday; so, while we will obviously
ask around at ApacheCon EU to see if other Apache projects need a stand
at FOSDEM, we could probably manage an Apache OpenOffice stand. About
sharing it with non-Apache projects, see below.

Here's a brief recap of the FOSDEM facts concerning us (I've already
forwarded everything anyway):
- Apache OpenOffice applied for a devroom; since the call for devrooms
stated that "projects with similar goals/domains will be asked to
co-organize a devroom" we agreed here on the list and stated explicitly
in our application that we were willing to share a devroom with similar
projects.
- The organizers received a separate application from LibreOffice and
asked Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice to actually share a devroom,
saying they were "very reluctant" to assign separate devrooms.
- Apache OpenOffice confirmed it was OK to share a devroom.
- In the end we won't share a devroom, so it should be a matter of very
simple logic to understand who said no; but I've never seen the
LibreOffice answer or the reasons for it.
- Apache OpenOffice has a devroom with capacity for about 80 people for
the full day of Saturday 2 February; we should issue a call for talks
around mid-November, to have the time to discuss it after ApacheCon.
- The "Main Track Talks" and "stands" are independent from the devrooms:
the first one is an opportunity to have an extra talk featured in the
main auditorium; the second one is simply a small booth available for
meeting people, answering questions, merchandising and so on. Here the
FOSDEM organizers do not make explicit recommendations to share tables,
so I would save the effort, while still hoping that cross-project
cooperation will be better in future occasions.

Regards,
   Andrea.