incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO volunteers: essential skills and tasks
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:29:27 GMT
On 23/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> New Volunteer Orientation root page:
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/

This is an excellent resource. But we received a few requests from
prospective volunteers this weekend and I'm believing it would be
overwhelming to point them there. I still believe these documents are
excellent, but probably they are assuming our volunteer is above
average, or at least willing to engage deeply with the project. They
would be perfect for me, for you, or for a newcomer like Jan who has the
skills and the mindset to understand in detail how things work.

But we will also have (and we do have: most volunteers I see on the
mailing lists in Italian fall in this category) volunteers who don't
care that much about OpenOffice as a project: they use the product and
just want to give something back. They want to scratch an itch, or just
to do something, but they are very task-oriented: they want something to
do rather than something to read. For example, we may have translation
volunteers who would be perfectly satisfied if we e-mail them a PO file
and tell them to grab POEdit and send the file back; and then they would
consider a deeper engagement, but not earlier.

And indeed they are not totally wrong: knowing how the Apache Board
works is not needed to be able to translate a press release, or a few
OpenOffice strings, into Italian.

Could it be that we need a "practical" entry point for people who want
to help and just want to do it immediately? Placing these information at
level 3 of the "Volunteer Orientation" seems too much for volunteers who
want to jump in and do something (while, again, the orientation guide is
excellent for a skilled, determined volunteer).

Regards,
   Andrea.