incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: extensions and translations.
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 09:21:01 GMT
Am 10/27/2012 03:53 AM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 01:17:33AM +0200, jan iversen wrote:
>> I see, I have to get used to this license issues (a long time ago I
>> believed open source was just open source, then I joined an apache project).
>
> It has nothing to do with licensing. Even if the extension code and all
> its dependencies are under the ALv2, why should OpenOffice include
> extensions by default in the install set? This goes against the concept
> of an extension.
>
> The fact that now there are three supported extensions is just
> a question of old Sun/Oracle decisions to release these as extension and
> not integrated as part of the application.
>

>> never mind.
>>
>> Would it be to our advantage if we offered third party developers (that is
>> how I see extension developers) the possibility to register a language file
>> and get it translated as part of the language packs ?
>
> This will break several concepts and things. Mainly extension developers
> have complete freedom about when to release updates, how to integrate
> translation in their extensions (use the configuration API and XCU
> files, use the resource API and Java-property-like files, etc.), most
> important what license to choose, etc.

Right. Then they are no longer independent from their own release plan
as they may would like to be.

Furthermore, I don't know how many extensions Sourceforge is hosting but
it could hundreads if not thousands. Lets assume 10% of them will say
"yes AOO, please translate the strings for me" then we have a lot more
to do. And who should verify the translations? If we, then we have to
install these hundreads/thousands extensions to see how it's working. If
the developer, then do we get feedback in time? What about errors, are
we able to fix them in time?

I think you can see now that the extension development has it own small
but fine ecosystem. It doesn't fit into the AOO release process and IMHO
this was never the idea.

However, thanks for making these thoughts. :-)

Marcus