incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] Cleanup installation files, make them more modular
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:06:45 GMT
I've modified the subject as I think this topic deserves its own, new
thread.

Am 10/26/2012 07:28 PM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 05:27:41PM +0200, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>
> Once thing to pay attention for the next release is the increasing size:
> more than 14 Gb for Linux packages only. This is going to be even more,
> as more languages are added. INFRA has already complained after the
> first release (can't find the message right now) about the size of our
> dist/ folder, so we must think about a solution, before they complain
> once the next release is uploaded.

IMHO you can think and try whatever you want. At the end there is only
one solution:

Cleanup the packaging, delete redundat files, rearrange how the install
files will be packed, think new how the installation on the users-side
could be done.

Example:
For every platform, we have exactly the same files in every full
install, except for the language resource files. So, when we can make it
that only the core (languages-independent) files are once on the mirrors
and then the language resource files besides, then it would be possible
to do the installation process completely new - with the following rough
steps:

1. Create a new basis installer: little, tiny and already localized.
2. The user can choose what he wants: applications, languages,
templates, extensions.
3. The basis installer downloads this file set from the mirrors.
4. It does the installation on the PC.
5. Finally AOO is ready to use.

And as goody maybe it's possible to create an install file, so that the
user can re-install his AOO version whenever he wants, without to
download everything again from the mirrors.

Marcus