incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] "difficulty" field for Bugzilla
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:40:08 GMT
On 24.10.2012 21:08, Rob Weir wrote:
> As you have probably noticed, I'm engaged in a variety of initiatives
> to grow the community, bring in more volunteers, etc.  One additional
> piece that I think would be useful is to add a new field to Bugzilla
> to indicate the difficulty level of the bug.  Of course, this will
> often not be known.  But in some cases, we do know, and where we do
> know we can indicate this.
>
> What this allows us to do is then have search filters that return only
> open easy bugs.  These are ideal for new developer volunteers on the
> project who are looking for items that match their lesser familiarity
> with the code.  It also allows a developer to step up to more
> challenging bugs over time.

FWIW there is a keyword "easy2dev" http://s.apache.org/easy2dev_open
that was used to mark "easy to develop" issues.

> If there are no objections, I'll add a new field to Bugzilla called
> "cf_difficulty_level", and which a drop down UI with the following
> choices:
>
> UNKNOWN (default)
> TRIVIAL
> EASY
> MODERATE
> HARD
> WIZARD
>
> (I'm certainly open to variations on the names)

Using a separate field and getting rid of the easy2dev keyword is a good
idea. I agree with Regina on the level naming and I also like Dennis'
logarithmic scale idea.

I'd also like to point out that there are several dimensions to it:
- the difficulty from a language/debugging-skills standpoint
- the difficulty for any developer new to the codebase

E.g. UNO is rarely used outside of the OpenOffice ecosystem. Using UNO's
multiple inheritance feature to write alternatives to existing old-style
interfaces might be a very challenging task for newcomers but a trivial
task to someone familiar with these concepts.

Herbert