incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] "difficulty" field for Bugzilla
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:04:01 GMT
Hi Rob,

Rob Weir schrieb:
> As you have probably noticed, I'm engaged in a variety of initiatives
> to grow the community, bring in more volunteers, etc.  One additional
> piece that I think would be useful is to add a new field to Bugzilla
> to indicate the difficulty level of the bug.  Of course, this will
> often not be known.  But in some cases, we do know, and where we do
> know we can indicate this.
>
> What this allows us to do is then have search filters that return only
> open easy bugs.  These are ideal for new developer volunteers on the
> project who are looking for items that match their lesser familiarity
> with the code.  It also allows a developer to step up to more
> challenging bugs over time.
>
> A similar approach, which they called "easy hacks", was successfully
> used by LibreOffice.
>
> If there are no objections, I'll add a new field to Bugzilla called
> "cf_difficulty_level", and which a drop down UI with the following
> choices:
>
> UNKNOWN (default)
> TRIVIAL
> EASY
> MODERATE
> HARD
> WIZARD

WIZARD is used in AOO UI in the meaning of 'assistant' or step by step
workflow. Therefore it might be not understood here. I need to look up
other meanings in a dictionary. I would drop it. HARD as highest step is
sufficient.

TRIVIAL sounds devaluating to me. Perhaps BEGINNER or STARTER is more
neutral? Being able to start is not only a question, whether the task is
easy or not from an objective point of view. Beyond that a mentor is
needed. Perhaps a category MENTORED instead of TRIVIAL is useful. A
senior developer would set it (and put himself in CC) if he is willing
to guide a newcomer.

> (I'm certainly open to variations on the names)
>
> I'd then rely on other developers to help "seed" the database with
> some TRIVIAL and EASY bugs, so new volunteers will have something to
> work with as they familiarize themselves with the project.
>
> I'll wait 72 hours, etc.

In general I thing it is a good idea. Using Bugzilla has the advantage,
that it is not necessary to hold a Wiki page in sync with Bugzilla.

Kind regards
Regina