incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need new logo for openoffice.apache.org
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:02:40 GMT
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On 10/23/12, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Exactly. And this means we cannot use Alexandro's SVG since it is not a
>> 100% reproduction of the bitmap by Michael Acevedo (the orb is perfectly
> Who made Michael Acevedo the offical artist of AOO? If we are going to
> have a 'new' logo that automatically disqualify using MA logo

Nobody made Michael Acevedo the official artist, but a mailing list vote
approved his logo as the Apache OpenOffice logo for the 3.4.x series (at
that time, we believed that the version after 3.4.x would be 4.x). So,
again: for 3.4 and all official communication in 3.4 the reference logo
is that one, and not something that is 95% similar to it or that tweaks
colors/fonts. We must be consistent. This is the reason why we cannot
use your SVG version now.

But it is understood, as Graham wrote, that this is a temporary
solution. For future releases we are free to adopt any new logo, having
a similarity to the current one anywhere between 0% and 100%, and since
we are not under pressure at the moment we can explore possibilities for
a full rebranding: logo, site, palette, icons... If we go for a full
rebranding, it is good to make it coincident with the 4.0 release since
it would be easier to communicate and less suspicious to users.

Regards,
   Andrea.