incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: propose a new developer snapshot based on revision 1400796
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:18:50 GMT
On 23.10.2012 10:02, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 10/22/12 6:19 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> we provide snapshot only every 2 weeks or every 4 weeks, maybe we should
>>> provide full install sets. But we can easy change that if it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Would it help if we provide the Linux 64 bit version? I think we have
>>> proper build client in place to build. That would reduce the amount of
>>> data for the upload for you.
>>
>> I have no problems as long as we use the same switches and system base.
>
> Well Herbert knows for sure but he builds on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6
> and I hope with the same switches ;-) Will check it ..

My options to run a production system in our network are limited to a
specialized release of RHEL6, which doesn't support mingw-*, so no, I
cannot run the same switches as the ones Ariel documented in the wiki
page on dev-snapshot.

Also Ariel is using RHEL5/CentOS5 which is preferable for compatibility
options. If I had to build the most compatible release that would be my
option too if it were not for the constraints hinted at above. It would
be possible to setup special virtual machines without any network
connection that had more liberties, but I'm not sure if jumping through
all those hoops would be all that wise.

Other than that I think that for our unix/bsd-platforms the package
format "archive" (a.k.a. tar.gz) would be a good idea for dev-snapshot
builds without system integration. They are very easy to unpack, test,
compare and are easily removable in the most clean way.

Herbert