incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need new logo for openoffice.apache.org
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:09:31 GMT
On 10/20/12 5:34 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> See upper left here:  http://openoffice.apache.org
>>
>> The "Incubating" is integrated into the graphic.
>>
>> The underlying file is here:  a PNG with transparent background.
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/images/300x100_dj_trans.png
>>
>> What do we want to do here?
>>
>> 1) Edit that graphic to remove "Incubating"?
>>
>> 2) Use a different graphic?
>>
>> Note that the http://www.openoffice.org/ site uses a different form of
>> the branding.  Are we intentionally using two different logos here?
>> Do we want to continue this?
>>

> I am confused about having the branding all disjointed, OO is used
> implemented halfway, we use Oracle brand refresh elements just on certain
> parts. The brand refreshed used this:
> - Symbols
> - Logo
> - Icons
>   - application
>   - modules
>   - filetype
>
> There was some big drawback on the monotone look of the filetype, but for
> some unknown reason there was no implementation on the modules either.
> Since, we have been keeping Application logos from 3.1, modules logos from
> 2.4 and filetypes of 2.0.
>
> Specifically on the logo, we have 2 versions, one with the "gulls" and the
> other with the "orb". I am not sure if there is a representation.
>
> There is also the issue with the fonts, where the fonts are not open, and
> we currently don't have a specific vector format logo, between using
> Nimbus, Liberation or Bitstreams we still dont have a good functional
> specification.
>
> My proposal is:
> - Get rid of incubating
> - Normalize the font-face of the logo
> - Update the modules logo to the latest refresh
> - Review new filetypes contribution
>
> Rather than changing and implementing a new design, work on the proposals
> to have a consistent look.

you seem to have a good overview. Maybe you can create an overview page
in the wiki of what we have now (and where it comes from) and a further
column where we can list what we want use in the next version. This can
help us to get an overview in one single place.

And a brief description what the element is and where it is used!

And of course we only have to change things that don't fit together in
the first place. Everything else can evolve over time.

I have to confess that I am a little bit lost to get a complete overview
of all the branding relevant things.

Juergen