incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO volunteers: essential skills and tasks
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 20:43:05 GMT

On 10/19/2012 01:07 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> I am thinking about what new project volunteers need to get started.
>> Obviously there are area-specific things.  For example, developers
>> need to know how to download and build.  Translation volunteers need
>> to understand Pootle, etc.  But there are also some basic things that
>> all volunteers should probably do.
>>
>> Although we have all of this information (or at least most of it) on
>> the website or wikis or mailing list archives, it is scattered all
>> over the place.  I think it would be good if we could collect this
>> information (or at least links to this information) into one place and
>> put a linear order behind it, a step of specific steps we want new
>> volunteers to take.
>>
>> Now, I can hear the objections already -- you can't tell volunteers
>> what to do.  That is why they are volunteers.  You can't regiment
>> them, etc.  This is true.  But at the scale we need to operate at --
>> I'm aiming to attract dozens of new volunteers on the project by the
>> end of the year -- we need some structure.  So what can we do to make
>> their first 2 weeks in the project easier for them, and easier for us?
>>
>> One idea:  Think of the new volunteer startup tasks in terms of
>> "stages" or "levels", a defined set of reading and other activities
>> that leads them to acquire basic skills in our community.
>>
>> For example:
>>

> To make it more concrete, this is what "Level 1" might look like:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/level-1.html
>
> -Rob

This is very good! I esp like the last part about providing a way for
volunteers to "sign up" if you will. This will be a nice touch.

I'm also wondering if there's some way to tie this in to our current
"Help Wanted" page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

Maybe someone has some ideas?

>> Level 1 tasks:
>>
>> 1) Read the following web pages on the ASF, roles at Apache and the Apache Way
>>
>> 2) Sign up for the following accounts that every volunteer should
>> have:  ooo-announce, ooo-dev, ooo-users,  MWiki, CWiki, BZ, Forums
>>
>> 3) Read this helpful document on hints for managing your inbox with
>> rules and folders
>>
>> 4) Read this code of conduct page on list etiquette
>>
>> 5) Send a note to ooo-dev list and introduce yourself
>>
>> 6) Edit this wiki page  containing project volunteers. Add your name
>> and indicate that you have completed Level 1.
>>

>> Level 2 tasks:
>>
>> 1) Using the Apache CMS in anonymous mode
>>
>> 2) Readings on decision making at Apache
>>
>> 3) Readings on project life cycle and roles within the AOO project
>>
>> 4) Introduction to the various functional groups within the project:
>> development, qa, marketing, UX, documentation, support, localization,
>> etc.
>>
>> 5) Pick one or more functional groups that you want to help with.
>> Edit the volunteer wiki and list them.  Also indicate that you have
>> now completed Level 2.
>>
>> Get the idea?  After Level 2 this then could branch off into
>> area-specific lists of start up tasks:  how to download and build.
>> How to submit patches.  How to update a translation.  How to define a
>> new test case.
>>
>> Is any one interested in helping with this?
>>
>> -Rob

MzK

  dealt with a cat."
                                -- Robert Heinlein