incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [WWW]: shared ideas and looking for feedback
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:26:03 GMT
Am 10/19/2012 10:26 AM, schrieb jan iversen:
> It would be a good idea to have the same structure and then one directory
> with country special parts...as you say it makes it easier to maintain, and
> with the extra directory nobody is limited.

I support this idea.

When we extent this also for the translated release notes like:

.../rn/release_notea_aoo341.html
.../de//rn/release_notea_aoo341.html
.../it//rn/release_notea_aoo341.html

then we can change the already existing link on the download website,
from the now English only release notes to the language-related notes.

Would be a nice additonal service for our users.

> On 19 October 2012 10:22, J├╝rgen Schmidt<jogischmidt@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yesterday I had problems to find a good place for the German translation
>> of the graduation press release. And I thought that it is probably a
>> good idea to cleanup the whole page with a clear and well defined
>> structure. I know that there is work ongoing and that we move already in
>> this direction. But nevertheless I would like to share the things I have
>> in mind to check if it is aligned with the already ongoing work or if it
>> makes sense at all.
>>
>> 1. a clear structure for the English content as well as the translated
>> pages.
>>
>> .../index.hmtl
>> .../de/index.html
>> .../it/index.html
>> .../press/msg_20121019.html
>> .../de/press/msg_20121019.html
>> .../it/press/msg_20121019.html
>>
>> Means we have for all pages a translated version in the related sub
>> directory. Same path and same name only the content is translated. This
>> makes it easy to find the related translation for any files.
>>
>> We can also use Pootle to do the translation of the web content in the
>> future.
>>
>> 2. we have special news areas where local communities can spread further
>> news relevant to their local activities, e.g. local conferences, events.
>> But in general we have the same content on all pages. Other local
>> community relevant content should be moved in the wiki. The main idea is
>> to have a smaller but cleaner and well structured and organized user
>> portal www.openoffice.org. Community internal things should be move on
>> openoffice.apache.org or the wiki.
>>
>> I know it is not really new and it is probably more to remind myself but
>> I am interested to hear others opinion.

Simply +1, with the addition from above.

Marcus